Monday, November 3, 2008

Greenwich visit


I went to Greenwich last week. Greenwich has many attractive places that tourists should visit such as National Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory Greenwich, etc. Personally, the Fan Museum is the most interesting place. This museum is the first and only museum in the world to preserve fans from many countries. It is home to more than 3,500 fans and the excellent Helene Alexander collection. I was very surprised when I arrived at the museum. Ithought it was a small place but I went inside I had to say small is beautiful. I saw the vivid fans around the room. They are divided into two parts. The ground floor is permanent and introductory display. The Orangery room is decorated with a mural which makes the room a wonderful atmosphere. From the French windows you can look out at a Japanese style garden with a fan-shaped parterre, a pond, and a stream. The next floor displays theme exhibitions. This month features an exhibition called Fashion in the Palm of your Hand. However, the exhibitions are changed approximately three times a year. Some type of fan had disappeared and difficult to find them.I wanted to take some pictures but the staff would not allow to flash photography because it will destroy the surface of fans. The Fan Museum’s staffs were pleased to answer my questions and gave a free audio while visiting the permanent exhibition. There were also labels on the walls to give further information. I wanted to join a fan workshop but fees are quite expensive and I changed my mind to buy some gifts to my friends. I went back home in evening.

No comments: